Wakefield Youth Soccer

Meeting Minutes

Monthly and Annual Meeting

July 14th 2005

Knights of Columbus

 

 

 

I. Call to Order: 8:10 PM

Board Members Present:

President-Joe Tringale; Treasurer-Phil Good; Picture Coordinator-Scott Robertson; Travel team Coordinator-Bill Mathews; Intramural Coordinator-Gary Hickey; Secretary-Mark Pistorino, Registrar – Kevin Horrigan.

 

II. Secretary's Report:

·        Minutes from June meeting read and accepted.

 

III. Treasurer's Report:

·        Phil Good read and submitted monthly Treasurer's Report which was accepted.

·        Ending balance - $71,055 in checking account, $44,912 in term deposit and $59,672 in the field account. $175,639 total balance as of 7/14/5.

 

IV. Intramurals:

·        New format for Kindergarten program.  A 4V4 (or 3V3) educational program will be implemented this year which will be more focused on teaching and providing more ball handling and better skill development.  Laura Ray from Mass Youth Soccer explained the teaching system and rationale along with its benefits and format, in detail and provided handouts which define the program.  Basically, the new program increases skill level by maintaining focus in smaller groups.  Kindergarten coaches will be notified the week of July 18th.

·        Steve deGaravilla is the new Kindergarten age director.

·        Large group this year.  Gary is putting teams/coaches together, which is a “scrambled” format this year, with no segregation by school district.

·        Coach’s clinic at Walton Field (behind Galvin Middle School) scheduled for August 28th.  THIS IS MANDATORY TRAINING FOR ALL INTRAMURAL COACHES.  The only exception will be for 5-8 coaches who have previously attended the training.

o       4 PM for Kindergarten coaches (Special clinic for U6 Kindergarten coaches)

o       6 PM for all others.

·        Times will be assigned to pick-up uniforms and equipment.  More information at next meeting.

V.  Travel Teams

·        New Girls U10 Team this fall.  Brings total to 7 teams.

·        All paperwork was submitted on time.

·        Discussion on players who are delinquent on payments from last year.  Phil Good will create a list of these players.  Action to collect money will be decided at next meeting

VI. Pictures

·        Date set for September 17th and 18th (9AM to 5PM)

VII. Registrations

·        Late registrations continue to be received.  Last day for registration on-line will be September 1st.   Late registrations will continue to be accepted until the first game (9/10).

VIII. Middlesex Youth Soccer League

·        Paul Melanson read the June and July meeting minutes.

·        MA is 48th of 50 states in Fees.  Considering raising fees $3/player in State.

·        Mandatory travel coaches meeting scheduled for Thursday 9/1/05

o       U10 – 7 PM

o       U12/U/14 – 8:15 PM

·        Season begins 9/10 thru October.  Need to get field permits thru Nov. 5th for rainout date.

·        Rosters limited to 18 players for spring.  Fall can have additional players.

·        Field maps need to be posted to website.  Phil and John Bosco with update website information.

·        Coaches are responsible for behavior of children and parents! 140 Yellow and 7 Red cards this past season.

·        Paul commented that the age directors in MYSL have a difficult and time consuming job. We need to support them and develop a better understanding of the rules, especially regarding make-ups and cancellations.  This information (any other pertinent info) is on the website, so we need to minimize calls by checking for answers on the site.  We need to do what we can to reduce the workload on the MYSL officers. Fines are assessed for improper cancellation of games.

·        August 2nd Placements will be done at the Towanda club in Woburn.  Paul cannot attend.  Bill Mathews will attend in his place.

 

IX. Other Business

·        Steve Maio discussed the status of the Walton field and removal of the backstop and clay from baseball diamond.  The town is looking for $5000 to complete the field work.  Unfortunately, the town is unwilling to return any exclusivity or preferential scheduling in return for our kind donation.  It was agreed to submit the donation with a letter to the town.  Paul Melanson has action to draft letter.

·        MLS Camp August 8-12th.

·        Thank you and appreciations given to Bob McCarthy for his dedication to the WYS program.

X. Meeting Adjourns

_______________________________________________________