Wakefield Youth Soccer
Monthly Meeting Minutes
August 2, 2007
Americal Civic Center
I. Call to Order: 8:07 PM
Present: President - Jim
Fitzgerald; Vice President - Mike Boudreau; Travel Coordinator - Steve Logan;
GM - Mark Pistorino; Treasurer - Joe Tringale; MYSL Rep. - Steve DeGaravilla;
Intramural Coordinator - Kevin Horrigan; Registrar - John Bosco; Pictures -
Andrew Tetrault, Coach Kelly’s
Junior Varsity Coach was present from Wakefield High School, WYSA is looking
forward to working with him.
- Minutes from July meeting read and accepted.
III. Treasurer's Report:
Treasurer reports from July read and accepted. Ending balance -
$86,319 in checking account, $47,501 in term deposit and $89,705 in the field
account for a total cash balance of $223,525 – approved.
IV. VP’s Report:
- New Travel uniforms are in – style adjusted slightly –
they will be in on Friday, August 17th. There will be a pick
up night that night for teams to come pick up their uniforms, coaches will
need to get back to Mike Boudreau ASAP if there are any size issues.
- Intramural uniforms will be in on August 24th,
we need to decide whether there is going to be an Intramural coaches
clinic where they can be oriented and can pick up t-shirts.
- Equipment order will be done this week, if anyone has
equipment needs let him know.
V. Middlesex League
- The leagues has freed up a State Coach for us. It will be
either Mike Singleton or Assistant State Director Tom Goodman. Need to
finalize the contract.
- The G License course will be Wednesday, September 5th,
from 6 to 10 p.m., it’s great for K, 1st, 2nd Grade
Coaches. We need to book the gym at the Galvin Middle School so they can
do it there.
- We need to zero in on a date for the coaches clinic, not
necessary if they are doing the G License course.
- Does MLS owe us some coaching – need to check with Richie
Shea who says they owe us for coaching – Dave Chapman will check with Rich
Shea to find out for sure.
VI. Presidents Report
- Field Updates: The permits are not cast in stone yet.
The HS coaches and maintenance crews and WYS are all in agreement on what
the needs are. The traveling teams will practice where they play. There
will be no Intramural teams practicing there. A spreadsheet will be
posted on the web that lets every one know where and when they will play.
Baseball leaders are not interested in having soccer played at Nasella for
the older players.
- U10 Boys & Girls – Sullivan Field or Mapleway
- U12 Boys & Girls – Moulton & Walton – possibly
- U14 Boys & Girls – Walton
- Intramural Teams will practice and play on Doyle, JJ Round
or Sullivan, Montrose, Moulton Playground on the outskirts, Walton School,
and Yeull School. Not on Nasella or the junior high school and not on
Sullivan or Mapleway depending on where we decide to have U10.
- Initial field lining will take place on Friday, August 31st
and finish on Saturday, September 1, 2007. We are only going to be
responsible for mapping out the smaller fields. They would like us to
donate money to help upkeep the fields, but the board is not inclined to
- We are going to schedule and put in writing all practices
and game locations. Intramural should have one practice a week and travel
should have two practices a week.
- 2nd graders will practice one day a week and K
and 1 will not be practicing at all which frees up a lot of field space.
VII. Pictures Update
- Date and times are the same. Need from Intramural and
Travel coordinators all of the schedules so picture times can be
coordinated. Registered players total 300 for Travel and 900 for
Intramural, so we will need 1200 envelopes.
- We need to decide whether we want this to be a fundraiser?
Photographer gives us $1 an envelope to pay for the field house.
- Volunteers are still needed.
VIII. General Manager’s
- New bylaws were distributed with some changes.
- Zero Tolerance Policy has been created and provided to the
board. It will be presented at the next meeting for everyone sign. All
coaches will be required to sign it and be held accountable.
- Closing in on 1200 players. Online registrations will be
held open for a little while longer. We may keep it open until the
September Board Meeting.
X. Grade 2 Program
- We have noticed a drop off in the grade 2 program. We
have about 125 kids signed up and 97 kids that played last year who have
not signed up. We are going to send out a targeted email to those players
to explain what the program is, why changes were instituted, ask them to
sign up, if they chose not to sign up again, we will ask them why to find
out the reason.
- After this is done Julie Fairweather will pursue a news
article explaining the new program for 2nd graders.
- Mark Pistorino suggested that we waive the late fee just
this one time so as not to penalize them for not signing up because they
didn’t understand the program. Everyone agreed that this was a good idea.
XI. Other Business
- Still looking for an age director for the 3-4 Boys Age
- What is going on at the Galvin the month of August
MLS Camp August 6 to 10th
9 a.m. to 12 noon and 5 to 8 p.m.
High School Camp August 13th
through the 17th 5 to 8 p.m.
High School starts 5 p.m. on August
XII. Travel Program
- Steve Logan said all teams are set, some coaches are still
being put into place. He has the phone and email address information that
he wants all travel coaches to check for accuracy. Assistants email
addresses can also be added to the list.
- We are still looking for U-14 for a few different teams (B
in particular) and U-10D.
- Wed will hear tonight when the night will be for people to
pick up their rosters, there will be a mandatory meeting with the league.
Steve deGaravilla is meeting with them on Tuesday and will have more information
- Start date for travel soccer is September 8th.
- Travel soccer coaches should start practicing now. If you
have times set, let us know. Once we get started practicing, you are
responsible for collecting the Fall and Spring fees from all your
players. The additional fee will be announced at the September meeting.
We are trying to collect the spring fees during the fall season. Coaches
are responsible for collecting the fees. Fees will be given directly to
It was voted on and decided that the Web Master would be an
official Board Member
A Motion to keep the fee as is at $70 – the same as it was last
year – was voted and approved.
XIV. Meeting Adjourns @ 9:10