Tryouts & Assessments - Overview
We understand that travel assessments can be a stressful time, whether it’s your first or fourth time through it. We hope that a brief explanation of the process will help alleviate some of that stress and let your child better enjoy their travel soccer experience.
The goal of the assessment process is to maintain a fair, objective, and thorough process for assessing player abilities and skills in order to place each player on a team that will best challenge their current level of play. WSA uses a two-part process to place players on appropriate teams:
- Tryout Days: Over the course of two days, experienced coach evaluators observe players in a series of technical sessions and small-sided games/scrimmages. These are designed to enable players to demonstrate competency in a variety of soccer skills and abilities. Players wear numbered pinnies and are not identified by name or current team. The process is designed to provide an unbiased view and opinion of each player’s capabilities relative to his or her peers.
- Coaches’ Evaluations: WSA gets written and/or verbal evaluations from coaches for current Travel and Academy players. Coaches evaluate players based on technical and physical skills (dribbling, passing, defending, quickness, etc.) and coachability (positive attitude, effort, etc.).
Tryout Format (Schedule)
Each player should plan to attend both days of tryouts. Each tryout session will be the same, consisting of both technical skills stations, and small-sided games. But because the best scores from each tryout will be used, it is in the player’s best interested to attend both nights.
If due to injury or other serious conflicts a player cannot make one or both tryout days, please provide WSA with written notification 72 hours before the tryout session that will be missed, by filling out this online Travel Tryout Absence Form.
After the tryouts are completed, the compiled scores and coach evaluations for each age group become the basis for player placements. This information will only be available to the Tryout Committee.
- Players will be ranked based on their scores from the professional coach evaluators. If a player is absent from one or more tryout days, they will be ranked based on coach evaluations and tryout committee input.
- The tryout subcommittees, consisting of the DoC, the Travel Director, and an impartial member of the Board or other volunteer as needed, will make team selections based on tryout rankings, coach evaluations, or other factors as appropriate. The subcommittees will submit these preliminary teams to a larger Evaluation Committee (multiple Board members, both past and present, the Travel Director, and the DoC) for review, adjustment, and final approval.
- Coaches will be chosen for each team.